Lukas Dhont’s Belgian coming-of-age drama Shut, Ali Abbasi’s Persian-language crime thriller Holy Spider and Swedish director Ruben Östlund’s satirical dim comedy Triangle of Sadness, which received the Palme d’Or at Cannes, are topping the nominations for the 2022 European Film Awards (EFAs), unveiled Tuesday.
Every of the acclaimed titles, which also occur to be Oscar contenders for the 2023 Academy Awards in the excellent worldwide characteristic category, received EFA nominations for plenty of effective European film, most efficient director, most efficient screenwriter and an acting category apiece.
Also in the running for the EFA for plenty of effective European film are Alcarràs from Spain’s Carla Simón and Austrian director Marie Kreutzer’s duration drama Corsage.
The European honors are usually considered as a bellwether for the Oscars. Even though remaining year’s EFA’s weren’t an awfully strong Oscars predictor, Joachim Trier’s The Worst Particular person in the World became nominated for plenty of effective European screenwriter on its formula to incomes an Oscar nom in the identical category, as well to a nod for plenty of effective worldwide film. Multi-EFA nominee Hand of God, from Italy’s Paolo Sorrentino, also nabbed an Oscar nomination.
French filmmaker Alice Diop joins the frontrunners this year in the excellent director category along with her acclaimed fictional filmmaking debut, Saint Omer, as does Poland’s Jerzy Skolimowski with his astronomical-conceal relish letter to the typical-or-garden donkey, EO, and Kreutzer with Corsage.
Kenneth Branagh also broke thru in the excellent screenplay category for his 2021 duration drama Belfast, as did Simón and her co-creator Arnau Vilaró with their work on Alcarràs.
Penelope Cruz earned a most efficient European actress nomination for her performance in Parallel Mothers, which also brought her an Oscar nomination earlier this year. The Spanish superstar is nominated alongside Luxembourgish actress Vicky Krieps from Corsage, Holy Spider‘s Zar Amir Ebrahimi, French conceal siren Léa Seydoux for Mia Hansen-Løve’s drama One Ravishing Morning and Meltem Kaptan in Rabiye Kurnaz vs. George W. Bush, based totally on the true-existence Guantanamo Bay case.
Triangle of Sadness‘s Croatian-Danish supporting superstar Zlatko Burić, unforgettable as a bellicose Russian oligarch, is joined in the excellent European actor category by Irish rising superstar Paul Mescal from Aftersun, Eden Dambrine in Shut, Danish-American Elliott Crosset Hove of Godland and Italy’s Pierfrancesco Favino for his turn in Mario Martone’s Nostalgia.
This year’s European Film Awards ceremony will occur on Dec. 10 in Reykjavík, Iceland.
Gain the paunchy checklist of nominees below.
• ALCARRÀS directed by Carla Simón, produced by María Zamora, Stefan Schmitz, Tono
Folguera & Giovanni Pompili (Spain/ Italy)
• CLOSE directed by Lukas Dhont, produced by Michiel Dhont, Dirk Impens, Michel Saint-Jean,
Laurette Schillings, Arnold Heslenfeld, Frans van Gestel & Jacques-Henri Bronckart (Belgium/
• CORSAGE directed by Marie Kreutzer, produced by Alexander Glehr, Johanna Scherz,
Bernard Michaux, Jonas Dornbach, Janine Jackowski, Maren Ade & Jean-Christophe Reymond
(Austria/ Luxembourg/ Germany/ France)
• HOLY SPIDER directed by Ali Abbasi, produced by Sol Bondy & Jacob Jarek (Denmark/
Germany/ Sweden/ France)
• TRIANGLE OF SADNESS directed by Ruben Östlund, produced by Erik Hemmendorff &
Philippe Bober (Sweden/ Germany/ France/ United Kingdom)
• A HOUSE MADE OF SPLINTERS directed by Simon Lereng Wilmont (Denmark/ Sweden/
• GIRL GANG directed by Susanne Regina Meures (Switzerland)
• MARIUPOLIS 2 directed by Mantas Kvedaravičius (Lithuania/ France/ Germany)
• THE BALCONY MOVIE (FILM BALKONOWY) directed by Paweł Łoziński (Poland)
• THE MARCH ON ROME (MARCIA SU ROMA) directed by Mark Cousins (Italy)
• Lukas Dhont for CLOSE
• Marie Kreutzer for CORSAGE
• Jerzy Skolimowski for EO
• Ali Abbasi for HOLY SPIDER
• Alice Diop for SAINT OMER
• Ruben Östlund for TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
• Vicky Krieps in CORSAGE
• Zar Amir Ebrahimi in HOLY SPIDER
• Léa Seydoux in ONE FINE MORNING
• Penélope Cruz in PARALLEL MOTHERS
• Meltem Kaptan in RABIYE KURNAZ VS. GEORGE W. BUSH
• Paul Mescal in AFTERSUN
• Eden Dambrine in CLOSE
• Elliott Crosset Hove in GODLAND
• Pierfrancesco Favino in NOSTALGIA
• Zlatko Burić in TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
• Carla Simón & Arnau Vilaró for ALCARRÀS
• Kenneth Branagh for BELFAST
• Lukas Dhont & Angelo Tijssens for CLOSE
• Ali Abbasi & Afshin Kamran Bahrami for HOLY SPIDER
• Ruben Östlund for TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
European Discovery – Prix FIPRESCI
• 107 MOTHERS (CENZORKA) directed by Peter Kerekes (Slovakia/ Czech Republic/ Ukraine)
• LOVE ACCORDING TO DALVA (DALVA) directed by Emmanuelle Nicot (Belgium/ France)
• OTHER PEOPLE (INNI LUDZIE) directed by Aleksandra Terpińska (Poland/ France)